Monday, May 16, 2011

mom-mode post #134 - on mr.ben and mr.jerry

Yesterday I unassumingly walked into my local grocery store looking for a Magnum bar. If you've never had one. These ice cream candy bars on a stick are the perfect companion for the first real spring day of the year.

But I digress. I'm not here to talk about magnum bars today. Immediately I spot it from the corner of my eye, a light purple freezer with the words 'Ben & Jerry' painted on it. Having lived here a while, I knew not to let my heart believe that just because there's a freezer does it mean that there's ice cream. But living overseas you also learn to check every square inch of your grocery store, because you never know what hidden treasures you may uncover.

I pushed the stroller a little faster, walked/ran to said purple freezer and much to my disappointment there was ice cream in there alright, but none we could call worthy of mr.ben and jerry. Then just as I'm about to close the freezer door, I see it. Two little pints of 'chunky monkey' goodness. Still a bit incredulous, I only bought one pint. Afraid that it might not taste quite right.

But when I got home after a delicious pizza dinner to celebrate the husband's fourth place in his first photo competition, I placed two perfectly smooth scoops in a bowl and tasted the best ice cream I've had in quite a while.

I'll probably gain a pound or two from eating it all. Because I am certainly not sharing it with anyone!


1 comment:

Gram said...

We have magnum bars in the US now! WooHoo!!!! Haven't seen one in Galax yet, but have seen them advertised!!