Monday, October 4, 2010

mom-mode post #101 - on losing the fat and the flab

New haircut and my little O - photo by Daniel Smith
So the time has come folks. When I can no longer blame my jelly-like belly to pregnancy pounds. Let's face it, I can't even blame it on "baby weight" either. Although O was a big baby, after I had him and all the fluids left my body, I was still left bulging out of my pants.
I've had a few bumps on the road that have kept me from jumping right on "the lose the weight after six weeks" wagon. Life as new mom in a new culture was quite overwhelming for me, so I didn't get a handle on exercise until O was 4 months old. Don't get me wrong, we would go for walks and whatnot. But real exercise didn't start until then. I started running again and was working my way into running an 8k in October. BUT as life would have it, I broke my foot and it all came to a screeching halt.  
As I've mentioned here, people lie. You don't shed all your weight by nursing. Some people might, but I have MOST certainly not!
As far as diet goes, adjusting to new portions and fat/sugar content in foods in a new culture hasn't been as simple as I thought. Throw in my hypoglycemia and picky taste buds and you have one crazy not-so-healthy diet. 
Next week, when we get back to Turkey I'll have to OK to exercise again. So, dear friends, I'm publicly committing to lose this flab, once and for all.
The goal: Everybody has a number, and my number is to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight by December 31st, 2010. And get back into my wedding weight by February 2011. But if I get to comfortably fit back into my skinny jeans, I'll be a happy mama.
The diet: MAJOR portion control and a eat a heart-healthy breakfast EVERYDAY ( none of this cup of coffee and I'm good to go nonsense)
The exercise: 30-day shred AND couch to 5k app.
The accountability: weekly updates on here

Wish me luck everybody!

This is the most current picture of my growing behind and my once-flat stomach

3 comments:

Michelle said...

You know, I didn't lose all of mine by nursing, either. What helped me was: limiting my coffee intake (b/c of added cream and/or sugar), not eating bread or rolls, eating LOTS of veggies, and trying to exercise 3x a week and only drink water. Good luck! It's definitely more work than some people make it sound like!

Lawren U said...

You're still a knockout, friend :). A little patience and determination will go a long way on this goal of yours!

Unknown said...

pri, vc ta linda como sempre! te apoio no goal de voltar ao pre-baby weight, mas mais do que isso... tu tava muito magrinha no teu casamento! hihi mantenha pelo menos 1 quilinho de recordacao, que vais ficar perfeita!
btw, your little boy is absolutely beautiful! que menino lindo!