Friday, April 9, 2010

mom-mode post # 64 - on what to wear AFTER your baby is born


Let’s talk about fashion, shall we?
I know, I know, this is supposed to be a blog about baby O. and stuff. So then why are we talking about fashion? Well, mainly because no one told me that my outfits were going to have to change in order to accommodate my new mom lifestyle. Not just because I’d have spit up all over my silk J.Crew top, but also for comfort and practicality.
Granted, the first few days (or weeks?) you may be living in your pajamas, and you won’t see a need for styling. But trust me, there will come the day you will go stir crazy inside the house and eventually you may want to go out and well, your pre-pregnancy  wardrobe may not be the best choice (or you may not be able to get into them just yet!).
No, this is not 1999 and I am by no means advocating for moms to wear velor track suits or the so-called “mommy jeans” and tennis shoes. If you’re still wearing them, put them away, right now. In the name of comfort, so many of us settle for the simple and plain, but for the tired and under-slept mamas out there, a cute outfit may just be the energy booster they need.
I recently had baby and all I’m saying is that lately I found myself in a fashion dilemma. For one, five weeks in after my baby was born, I’m not quite back in my old skinny jeans (will I ever?).  But also, although I want to be a stylish mama, I realize that a turtle neck dress may not be the most practical choice for a breastfeeding mom.
And even if you’re not breastfeeding, you still need easy stylish practicality.
So here are a few styling but comfortable tips that I’ve come to realize in the past five weeks:

-          Get a few “in between” sizes pants. Nothing wrong with the maternity pants. But trust me, you will feel and look much better in pants you can actually button.
-          Wear lots of button downs. Borrow it from your husband’s closet and cinch it at the waist with a sash or a belt. For these provide "easy access" for the breastfeeding mom.
-          Flats, wear cute ballet flats. They add style to your outfit and are still comfortable. Plus they elongate your silhouette, making you look slimmer. I know tennis shoes are comfortable, but flats are so much more feminine.Seriously save your tennis shoes for when your doctor releases you to work out again.
-          Accessorize! Perhaps you may have to give your necklaces a break (I’m still fighting this one, but my 5 week old has almost broken one so…). Headbands are a great way to accessorize and hold your hair in place. A nice chunky bracelet or statement earrings are a way to show that you’ve put some effort into getting ready. Your hubby will appreciate it.
-          Cardigans are a must. They can add color to an all-black ensemble or slim-down a baggy maternity top.
-          Everyone has these cute “embellished” tee-shirts for spring now. Old Navy, the Loft, you name it. The beauty of these is that they still are just as comfy as a tee, but have a cute feminine appeal to it.
-          Finally, stick to two-piece ensembles. Dresses are great, but despite the fact that they do not provide “easy access” for the breastfeeding mom, if you get spit up on them, you have to change the whole outfit. If you are wearing a top and a bottom, all you have to do is just change the top or bottom if your little one spits-up, or if you get wet while giving them a bath or if your little boy pees on you…


So that’s it friends. Keep it simple, keep it clean (for the most part!) and keep it stylish!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Honey, I feel your (fashion) pain! I am STILL working on fitting into my old pants... I did find some in-between sized jeans and chino pants from Old Navy (cheap and cute), which I wear with some Loft girly tees, cardis, and flats. Chiara loves my long necklaces too much and wants to take them for herself, so I have resorted to earrings, headbands and scarves instead to dress things up a bit. You seem to be getting the hang of things pretty well - congrats!

sojournerdiaries said...

Love this post! I have hope for when baby number 2 comes. After I had L I fell into the trap of wearing my maternity clothes and feeling downright awful everytime someone assumed I was 6 months pregnant! I really do not like maternity clothes either, but thankfully I'm in a place where I don't have to buy them this time!

Mom-mode said...

Thanks Elisa. That's a good idea about buying cheap but cute in between jeans. I need of pair of black pants, I need to go that route...:)

Melissa - I'm glad you found my blog! And now I found yours! Just haven't the time to read it just yet.) Aren't you lucky you don't have to worry about finding things that fit you when you ballooning at 8 months pregnant ( which I'm sure you won't, I'm talking about myself here...). If you do need anything let me know, we'll find a way to get it to you.

Sofia said...

Good news - if you keep breastfeeding all the weight and such will shed away, i was back to pre-pregnancy weight and jeans at 4 months. And i didn't even do more than going for walks with baby. I also had a c/section, by the way. Isn't it funny how there are lots of things people tell you while pregnant and still lots that no one tells? :)

Anonymous said...

I breastfed until 6 months, didn't eat a lot, took walks with baby and 12 months later I'm still struggling to get back to pre-preggo weight... so while breastfeeding helps shed pounds, it doesn't work the same way with all women!