Friday, December 25, 2009

mom-mode post # 35 - on Christmas traditions



Every family has at least one Christmas tradition. No matter what they are, there's just something comforting in knowing you will eat the same foods, do the same things, see the same people, year after year.
I never realized how much hard work and effort it takes for these traditions to be kept from year to year. I knew my mom and mom-in-law spent many hours in the kitchen baking all of our favorite and traditional holiday treats and foods. I knew many hours were spent decorating the house, and many others were spent shopping for the perfect gifts.
Even though I've been married for four years, I had never had to take on the role of "tradition-keeper" until this year. We always spent Christmas with our families, so there was never a need to ensure that these traditions were kept.
This year, is a little different, as we are many hours away from both our families. And with all the craziness it's been, we've only managed to get a tree and I managed to bake some of our favorite treats. We didn't even achieve to put presents under the tree. It's just little sad without everyone here. Okay, it's really sad, I confess. But it still doesn't take away the REAL joy of today, anyways. :)
I have to say it made me so thankful for my "moms" and their enormous efforts in making sure everyone had a wonderful time, every year. They have made for some of the sweetest memories one could ever ask for.
My prayer and hope is that next year, with our little one in tow, we'll be able to maintain some of these wonderful traditions and create some new ones of our own, as the years go by. I can only hope my son will have as wonderful memories as my husband and I have had, thanks to our moms.
But of all the traditions we could ever possibly create, I just want my baby boy to know and cherish the real reason why we celebrate.

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given and the government shall be upon his shoulder and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God,The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

~ 30 weeks

2 comments:

d'radiofan said...

That was so sweet! I know you'll do a great job of continuing tradition as well as making new ones our 'little mister' will grow to love! We did miss you guys so much! Your blog made me cry-both good tears and sad ones!

Mom-mode said...

Sorry I made you cry -- I guess it was a crying kind of day. Hopefully next year we'll be a little less tearful for all of us.:)